Anyone else have this happen?

Panhead flooded

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Mark48
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Anyone else have this happen?

Post by Mark48 »

Just a short story, the other day I was going to fire up the 48 and go for a short ride. Using my normal cold start routine, wasn’t firing. Kicked it a bunch of times , nothing, now I’m thinking all kinds of problems and solutions as I’m breaking a leg. My wife walks out of the house, walks by me , stops and says it’s flooded , I said no it’s not , she said it stinks of gas , it’s flooded, I said I don’t smell any gas, she said again it’s flooded. Ok,ok, what do I know. I go to my flooded condition start routine , fires right up. Stick my nose in the gas tank, nothing, oh no, I forgot I completely lost my sense of smell from Covid 19 months ago. I hate when she’s right.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Anyone else have this happen?

Post by kitabel »

Never mind
Last edited by kitabel on Thu May 25, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark48

Post by Mark48 »

Why change the oil? Do you think the gas contaminated the oil!
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Let's think about this a bit.
The gas would have to pass the rings to flood the bottom end in order to be significant, no?
The oil in the tank is not contaminated.
Gasoline is volatile, so I would expect any minor contamination of the oil would vaporize and be gone after the oil has warmed up to operating temp.
So, what exactly, is the issue here?
One thing I am fairly sure of is to not attempt to remove the plug in the bottom left side of the motorcase....
....RooDog....
Mark48

Post by Mark48 »

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, I think the oil should be ok, the point I was trying to make was ,I can’t smell the gas, so that leads to all kinds of problems, is it primed? Is it not getting gas? Is it flooded?, without pulling a plug every few kicks I won’t know if the bike is at fault , is it just my starting procedure that’s at fault, what we do know is now I am defiantly faulty. Just when i thought this was getting easier.

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”