Oil tank pressure

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Oil tank pressure

Post by george48pan »

It is 42* outside and I decided to start my bike. I checked the battery voltage and the plug gap. I started kicking to circulate oil through the engine. The cap to the oil tank popped off. I have an aftermarket horseshoe oil tank with a side fill spout welded in. A rubber ribbed cap plugs the fill spout.

I have used straight 70W oil since the 70's and don't recall the cap popping off when kicking the bike over. I was thinking the problem would solve itself when the bike runs and warms up a little. I have a spark but need to replace the gas to get it to run.

Any thoughts on why the cap would pop off? It does not sit in the spout tightly. Maybe the rubber is stiff.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Oil tank pressure

Post by PanPal »

Sounds like you have a belly full of oil. Don't attempt to top off the oil tank until you are able to run it and pump what's in the belly back to the tank. I hear from guys loosing those caps often. Would like to hear ingenious ways of securing them because I have one mounted on the top of my gas tank next to my gas cap and don't need it popping off and splattering me with hot oil.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Cap doesn't fit tight enough. I have one of those side fill horseshoe oil tanks and the had that happen. My filler plug has a chrome cap on it with a threaded stud that fastened it to the rubber part. I found a pipe plug with an outside diameter that would slightly expand the rubber "stopper" when pushed into the stopper I.D. I drilled and tapped the blind end of the plug and threaded it onto the stud, using red Locktite. It's a bit stiffer to remove, but it's not going to ever pop out again. You can use anything of the right diameter that can stand up to the hot, oily conditions.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Cap doesn't fit tight enough. I have one of those side fill horseshoe oil tanks and the had that happen. My filler plug has a chrome cap on it with a threaded stud that fastened it to the rubber part. I found a pipe plug with an outside diameter that would slightly expand the rubber "stopper" when pushed into the stopper I.D. I drilled and tapped the blind end of the plug and threaded it onto the stud, using red Locktite. It's a bit stiffer to remove, but it's not going to ever pop out again. You can use anything of the right diameter that can stand up to the hot, oily conditions.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I have no idea why my reply posted twice.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:00 am I have no idea why my reply posted twice.
That can happen if the network connection is slow.
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Post by george48pan »

PanPal wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:21 pm Sounds like you have a belly full of oil. Don't attempt to top off the oil tank until you are able to run it and pump what's in the belly back to the tank. I hear from guys loosing those caps often. Would like to hear ingenious ways of securing them because I have one mounted on the top of my gas tank next to my gas cap and don't need it popping off and splattering me with hot oil.

Now I remember ... years ago I was riding and my cap fell off. I replaced it with the a newer ribbed cap. It fit more snug. Maybe it is time to buy a new cap.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Return to “Panhead”