Hand shift lever Ball end

General topics, not related to any other category
tomcat
Bikes: 1947EL
1948FL Project
1947WL Project

Hand shift lever Ball end

Post by tomcat »

I really like these accessory hand shift lever ball ends. I have one on my knucklehead and I just like the feel and looks. So I'm putting them on all my bikes. The problem with them is they tend to rust in place and are impossible to remove over time. I found this one and the lever itself was either broke while someone trying to remove it or it was on a modified shift lever transmission lid. Also it was dented. more on that later.

I tried everthing to remove the stud end. heat didn't work, ez out didn't work either. The problem is you cant really put it into a vise, so hand holding is really only option and not alot of force that is needed can be applied. So I initially thought my only option was thread repair of some kind. ie. heli coil or ez lock insert. but I was over thinking things. Then it hit me to just try and drill perfectly in the center and drill and tap it. So I did starting with a #40 bit and working larger as I went so I could have the option of pulling the hole as needed to get it perfectly in the center. And it worked.

Now the problem is the dent. Pushing it out somehow. I'm thinking the mini pry bars as pictured. 35-50 degree and in 5/32" and 1/4" sizes as the hole to work through is 3/8" diameter. What do you think? Or any other ideas? I'm in the brain storming stage right now.

59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Hand shift lever Ball end

Post by 59Panman »

I thought I read somewhere on the internet you can pull dents by quickly freezing the metal? Do a search.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

We use to fill our dirt bike tanks with water and freeze them to pop dents out and that might work in this if you cap it before freezing. The dent appear to be pretty well in line with the threaded hole.
I would attempt rounding the end of a wood dowel or round bar brass and work it out while it sat on a sand bag or thick piece of rubber. I repaired a pair this way in the past with good results.
tomcat
Bikes: 1947EL
1948FL Project
1947WL Project

Post by tomcat »

well I filled it with water and then put in on the lever and stuck it into the freezer for about 4 hours and most of the dent came out. About 90 percent I guess. I'm pretty pleased. I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Return to “General topics”