Rear Hub Locking up when mounting

Wheel locks up when axle is tightened

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Montana Norsky
Bikes: 1950 Harley Davidson FL
1939 Harley Davidson Side Car

Rear Hub Locking up when mounting

Post by Montana Norsky »

Well, I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to figure this out. Since I've owned my '50 Pan for 42 years you'd think I wouldn't be having a problem but I am and I can't make sense of it.
I've rebuilt the rear hub, added a new brake drum/sprocket and shoes (aftermarket), mounted new tire and tube and for the life of me can NOT figure out why when I tighten the axle nut it locks up the wheel. I have taken the hub back apart numerous times checked it and still have not figured it out. It spins freely until I tighten the nut down the last turn or so then it hangs up. It will turn an inch or two then stop.
Something must be binding but I can't figure out what. I've tried it without the brake drum on the hub. No different. I've pulled the axle and wheel off and spun and tightened it up off the bike and it still does it.
Anyone run across this before? Like I said, I've been riding and working on this bike for decades and I'm stumped.
Montana Norsky
Montana Norsky

Re: Rear Hub Locking up when mounting

Post by Montana Norsky »

When I watch it closely on the right side of the bike and slowly tighten the axle nut I can see the end of the thrust bearing sleeve stops moving with the wheel and then stops the wheel.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Your hub end play was set up wrong. You can ONLY do it right under torque tension. If you did it on a bare hub on the bench it isn't right.
Montana Norsky

Post by Montana Norsky »

Thanks Rubone. I’ll dig back in. Appreciate the direction.

Return to “Panhead”