more questions on my 45

All flathead topics
Diesel10r
Bikes: 2009 heritage classic
51' FL
42' WLA

more questions on my 45

Post by Diesel10r »

couple quick questions. I replaced my clutch disks and metals this summer. My question is the 3 hub nuts. Where am I measuring from for my 1 1/32 is it the inner lip or the front where the nuts contact? i think mine maybe too tight
And what parts do I need other than the starter gear and a rebuild kit do I need to fix my kicker that kicks right through at times and other times it feel ok?

Thanks again
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: more questions on my 45

Post by kitabel »

Are you referring to the starter clutch inside the transmission?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

yes the starter/kicker gear. mine is starting to kick right through at times
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

They do that all the time,
nothing to worry about.
As for the measuring, the manual afford you specifics.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Diesel10r wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:00 pm couple quick questions. I replaced my clutch disks and metals this summer. My question is the 3 hub nuts. Where am I measuring from for my 1 1/32 is it the inner lip or the front where the nuts contact? i think mine maybe too tight
And what parts do I need other than the starter gear and a rebuild kit do I need to fix my kicker that kicks right through at times and other times it feel ok?

Thanks again
Like stop signs, and speed limits, that measurement is only a suggestion.
You only need the springs preloaded enough to keep the clutch from slipping, anything more is a waste, and harder on the equipment....
....RooDog....
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

ok thanks. My little grey 45 repair book didn't say the outer face of the plate. I used the inside edge. so Im assuming why it seems it not fully disengaging

and the kicker is a normal thing. Ill have to start being sure its engaged. 3 times yesterday leg cranked the rear crash bar!
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Just because other people have the same problem may be typical, but does does not make it "normal"....
I'm sure the MoCo didn't send those WLAs to the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps with slipping starter gear....
I put a bunch of new pats in the kicker cover on my Project Panny, and was surprised how nicely it would kick start.
Living with worn out parts is not "normal'.
....RooDog....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Regarding what's considered "normal" - there are certain traits common to 50 -80 year old machines that those who ride them have learned to expect and sometimes live with. But if these bikes took 10 kicks to start, or slipped through the kicks, or whatever, back in the showroom way back when Harley wouldn't have sold many bikes.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Are you talking about the kicker parts outside the transmission?
Or this, inside the transmission: https://tinyurl.com/yef5h37d
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

45 kickstarters are very different than big twin in location, operation, and parts used. The countershaft has one half of the ratchet gear machined into the end of it. The ratchet gear itself has two "wings" that engage the tripper bolts in the case to disengage when the arm comes up. Common problems are worn teeth, a weak or damaged spring on the ratchet gear, ans worn or broken tripper bolts. If the bolts are worn they can be rotated 180 degrees to allow a new contact area. If the spring is damaged it needs to be replaced. Aftermarket types are generally junk. If teeth are worn on either the starter gear or the countershaft, or both, replacement is necessary and in order to check them the gearbox must be disassembled. The small spring in the end of the countershaft itself is important as well to keep the CS endplay correct. The part are shown in this blowup.

Several things can occur. If the small spring is crushed or missing the countershaft can move too deep into the case and prevent the gears from meshing. If the starter gear spring is weak or broken it can prevent the gear from sliding into engagement. If the tripper bolts are bad it usually allows gear contact in operation resulting in premature and excessive wear.
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

kitabel wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 pm Are you talking about the kicker parts outside the transmission?
Or this, inside the transmission: https://tinyurl.com/yef5h37d
It looks like its all inside. I see the gear and the spring. something to me is wrong cause it falls right through. is there anything thats a normal part to replace form this type of issue. My dads pan tranny was easy just pop the cover off and its all right there.
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

RUBONE wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 pm 45 kickstarters are very different than big twin in location, operation, and parts used. The countershaft has one half of the ratchet gear machined into the end of it. The ratchet gear itself has two "wings" that engage the tripper bolts in the case to disengage when the arm comes up. Common problems are worn teeth, a weak or damaged spring on the ratchet gear, ans worn or broken tripper bolts. If the bolts are worn they can be rotated 180 degrees to allow a new contact area. If the spring is damaged it needs to be replaced. Aftermarket types are generally junk. If teeth are worn on either the starter gear or the countershaft, or both, replacement is necessary and in order to check them the gearbox must be disassembled. The small spring in the end of the countershaft itself is important as well to keep the CS endplay correct. The part are shown in this blowup.

Several things can occur. If the small spring is crushed or missing the countershaft can move too deep into the case and prevent the gears from meshing. If the starter gear spring is weak or broken it can prevent the gear from sliding into engagement. If the tripper bolts are bad it usually allows gear contact in operation resulting in premature and excessive wear.
Thank You!

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”