Enclosed Belt Primary for 68 FLH

Can't stop oil leak after several attempts. Getting frustrated.

All Shovelhead topics
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Re: Enclosed Belt Primary for 68 FLH

Post by nifty »

Roodog,
I really like the idea of the weight saving and sound deadening qualities and I get the concept of the slightly resilient & slippery polyurethane on the pulley teeth.
How are the moulded "teeth" for steel plates holding up?
Nifty
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Nifty....
That's a good question. I can't answer because the bike is out of my hands now, gone to my brother Jon. But none of the reviews I have ever seen for the Super Max ever mentioned a problem with the lugs, and they have all said the belts last forever.
Does anybody here know anything about them?
....RD....
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Post by doc9339 »

Nifty. Read my post again on the FXB: I posted "I beleive it ran a roller". Never said it actually did. Wasnt sure myself: My point was the belt on the FXB was enclosed, a possible concern of one poster
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Doc 9339
Sorry, I failed to find the enclosed belt concern of one poster. except that the original poster was concerned about sealing oil in his primaries and was therefore considering a belt to run inside his stock primaries.
The need for belt temperature control is well known and ventilation was stated earlier, IMO a mesh inspection cover on stock primaries helps, ditto the stock clutch release plate acts as a fan, as do the belt & pulley teeth and the starter ring gear must also churn up some air movement.
I acknowledge your personal experience with roller tensioned open belt primary drives.
Something else to consider is the speed of the roller, usually in excess of 4 times crank RPM.
Thank you for clarifying the enclosed primary status of FXB. My apologies for omitting to mention, IMO probably its least serious failing.

Nifty

Return to “Shovelhead”