Will the real captain america plese stand up.

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: Will the real captain america plese stand up.

Post by Mongrel505558 »

doc9339 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:50 pm They showed that kiss on a female reporter last week on a short TV clip about his carreer. He was obviously really shit faced, and was wearing a huge 70's type male fur coat. What I didnt know, is when he was a Q back, he could snap/throw the ball so hard, it actually made a snapping sound. The camera guys thought it was a glitch in the audio. I dont think any other Q back has ever snapped the ball so hard on a continual basis.
He was pretty much the last franchise quarterback the Jets have had since then.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Fonda wrote a book called Don't Tell Dad and I had it on loan from a public library years ago. He said four bikes were bought at auction from the LAPD and they were a 50, two 51s and a 52. Two more Captain A bikes were later built for display at theatres.

Here’s most of page 278 and the top of 279.

Page 278.jpg
Page 278.jpg (145.63 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Page 279.jpg
Page 279.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Fonda doesn’t say what became of the other Captain A bike from the film.
Eric
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

One of the Captain A was destroyed in the final scene, no?
May not have even been a running motorcycle, since Hollywood thrives on illusion....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:36 pm One of the Captain A was destroyed in the final scene, no?
May not have even been a running motorcycle, since Hollywood thrives on illusion....
Hard to forget the image of that bike tumbling and crashing and burning. And the split second premonition...

The cinematography for that movie was really impressive. I read somewhere that Fonda and Hopper had to ride very slowly so the cameras tracking them didn't blur the background too much. Then they sped up the film to "highway speed" I guess you could say. Fonda said they filmed most of the riding scenes in a day or two, and with his front end and apes riding so slow took a toll on his arms by the end of the day. He went into a hotel bar and asked for the tallest, coldest beer they could give him. When he got it he said he could barely lift it to his mouth.
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Post by doc9339 »

Myself, I dont beleive Hopper or Fonda has/had any clue of where the bikes went, especially the CA bike. I mean they were actors, partied allot, and frankly, they werent really biker folks. They most likley just treated them like props, and when the movie was over, they prob didnt care what would happen to those bikes. They didnt own them, so they probably didnt really care The write up by Fonda is somewhat vauge : No original CA bike: I mean, WTF :roll:

Again, I dont see where one or two(?) of the movie bikes were stolen shortly after the movie, (if they were stolen)
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Post by doc9339 »

From the MC museum:

"Though in years past a documented Easy Rider Captain America bike was on display at the National Motorcycle Museum, (shown in the gallery photos) the Captain America bike and Billy bike now on display are replicas of the two matching bike “props” made for the 1969 cult classic motion picture.

In the course of filming the final scene, one of the two Captain America bikes is crashed as Fonda is shot while riding it. This crashed bike is the only Captain America bike known to exist and is in the late Paul Allen’s collection in Washington. The matching Captain America bike and the two “Billy bikes” built for Hopper were stolen near the end of the filming and never seen again.

Again, my rumour mill says the one CA bike was stolen after wrap, when it was riden to a bar and parked outside?

Its like Waldo for gosh sakes
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

doc9339 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:23 pm Myself, I dont beleive Hopper or Fonda has/had any clue of where the bikes went, especially the CA bike. I mean they were actors, partied allot, and frankly, they werent really biker folks. They most likley just treated them like props, and when the movie was over, they prob didnt care what would happen to those bikes. They didnt own them, so they probably didnt really care The write up by Fonda is somewhat vauge : No original CA bike: I mean, WTF :roll:

Again, I dont see where one or two(?) of the movie bikes were stolen shortly after the movie, (if they were stolen)
Hi Doc, they weren't just actors, Fonda is credited with writing and as a producer, and of course, Hopper directed it, in addition to a writing credit.

I see no reason to doubt Fonda's account of what happened to the bikes.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

To throw another log on the fire, and another beer or two, my buddy Double L sent me this, and do click on the links....

Roo,

I met Peter Fonda (on several occasions) and Dennis Hopper when I worked at Glendale Harley (1991-94). Fonda told me the original bikes were stolen and probably chopped out for parts. He said it made him feel good thinking those parts were on motorcycles and still on the road today! LL

"The whole thing has been like a Rashomon experience," producer Bill Hayward, who died in 2008, told the filmmakers who made Easy Rider: Shaking The Cage. "The whole movie, the whole production ... everyone's got an entirely different story."(npr.org)

"Everyone's got an entirely different story." That sums it up for me! LL
The 2014 NPR article went on to say:
Clifford Vaughs, for his part, says he acted as an associate producer early on in the film's production. By his account, he designed the bikes himself, and is responsible for the distinctive look of the "Captain America" bike. He says he also worked with Ben Hardy to purchase engines at a Los Angeles Police Department auction, and coordinated the building of the bikes.

Peter Fonda, meanwhile, has said that he himself played a greater role in the design and construction of the bikes.

"I built the motorcycles that I rode and Dennis rode," Fonda told WHYY's Fresh Air in 2007. "I bought four of them from Los Angeles Police Department. I love the political incorrectness of that ... And five black guys from Watts helped me build these."

The article below is worth reading. I feel it is the closest to being accurate to what really occurred. LL

https://thevintagent.com/2017/10/21/cli ... asy-rider/
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

awander wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:02 pm
doc9339 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:23 pm Myself, I dont beleive Hopper or Fonda has/had any clue of where the bikes went, especially the CA bike. I mean they were actors, partied allot, and frankly, they werent really biker folks. They most likley just treated them like props, and when the movie was over, they prob didnt care what would happen to those bikes. They didnt own them, so they probably didnt really care The write up by Fonda is somewhat vauge : No original CA bike: I mean, WTF :roll:

Hi Doc, they weren't just actors, Fonda is credited with writing and as a producer, and of course, Hopper directed it, in addition to a writing credit.

I see no reason to doubt Fonda's account of what happened to the bikes.
The "Rodent" bike is the one I made into a running bike from the theater display shell.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 pm To throw another log on the fire, and another beer or two, my buddy Double L sent me this, and do click on the links....

Roo,

I met Peter Fonda (on several occasions) and Dennis Hopper when I worked at Glendale Harley (1991-94). Fonda told me the original bikes were stolen and probably chopped out for parts. He said it made him feel good thinking those parts were on motorcycles and still on the road today! LL

"The whole thing has been like a Rashomon experience," producer Bill Hayward, who died in 2008, told the filmmakers who made Easy Rider: Shaking The Cage. "The whole movie, the whole production ... everyone's got an entirely different story."(npr.org)

"Everyone's got an entirely different story." That sums it up for me! LL
The 2014 NPR article went on to say:
Clifford Vaughs, for his part, says he acted as an associate producer early on in the film's production. By his account, he designed the bikes himself, and is responsible for the distinctive look of the "Captain America" bike. He says he also worked with Ben Hardy to purchase engines at a Los Angeles Police Department auction, and coordinated the building of the bikes.

Peter Fonda, meanwhile, has said that he himself played a greater role in the design and construction of the bikes.

"I built the motorcycles that I rode and Dennis rode," Fonda told WHYY's Fresh Air in 2007. "I bought four of them from Los Angeles Police Department. I love the political incorrectness of that ... And five black guys from Watts helped me build these."

I just read your link. Interesting read. Good article.

The article below is worth reading. I feel it is the closest to being accurate to what really occurred. LL

https://thevintagent.com/2017/10/21/cli ... asy-rider/
Speeding Big Twin

You don’t see where one or two (?) of the movie bikes were stolen? Fonda says both Billy bikes were stolen as well as the one remaining Captain A bike. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

I don’t think there’s anything vague about Fonda saying there is no original Captain A motorcycle. When he says ‘the one remaining Captain A motorcycle’ I think he means the main bike and he says it was stolen. As he suggested, the bikes may have been dismantled and the parts scattered. Therefore the main bike would no longer be assembled and in its original form. Parts of it could be anywhere so the bike itself would no longer be a complete and original machine.

According to Fonda’s book the second Captain A bike was meant to be somersaulted at the end of the film but there were problems with the ramp. They rigged a charge which was set off by remote. In the book Fonda doesn’t say what became of this bike.

In the film I only see Billy bike 2 in two sequences and both times it’s near or at the end which indicates to me that it wasn’t used much but it too was a running motorcycle.

BTW, in his book Fonda also talks about him owning Triumph and BMW motorcycles.
Eric
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Rumor had it the guy who played Grizzly Adams on TV back in the 70s, (Dan Haggery), owned, or had a hand in both these panheads comin up missing. He died in 2016. Supposedly, the original CA pan was a straightleg frame, and any other CA made for the movie bikes were cradle frames...bosheff
Speeding Big Twin

Easy Rider.jpg
Easy Rider.jpg (165.21 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Morgan
Bikes: Harley FL

Post by Morgan »

A recent posting on instagram by Outlawarchives was a photo of several members of many outlaw clubs. Included was the following caption:

"Berdoo Hells Angels in the early 1970s. Top Lumpy, Harold Bottom: Lil Dee, Jack Whitaker, Dougie Poo, Dirty Dennis, Glen the Kid, Pinky, Frank Hook. Lumpy was originally in the Straight Satans, and is the reason their President “Duke” was shot and killed by the Vagos. Harold was originally in the SoCal Hells Angels and the Road Regents, before joining Berdoo. In the 1960s he stole the most valuable gun collection in the US and the charges were dropped once he led the police to where the guns were buried. In the 70s he was arrested for operating a massive meth lab, but got off due to entrapment. While president of Berdoo he was on the front page of the San Bernardino newspaper for studying marine biology. He was also married to Mother Ruthe. In the 1970s Lil Dee killed a man but Berdoo member Booger Butch was arrested for it and took the beef. He went full circle and found himself on death row, in San Quentin, which is where he was born to his mother Barbara Graham who was also on death row for a murder she didn’t commit. She was eventually executed, but Booger Burch was not. Dougie Poo & Dennis wee originally Galloping Gooses. Doug was featured in Bill Rays 1965 photos for Time|Life. Dirty Dennis is the one who stole the Lizard Bike from the movie “Wild Angels” and the Captain America bikes from the movie “Easy Rider.” In 2001 Glen the Kid was kidnapped in Colombia , held for 5 weeks, and lost 40lbs. NatGeo did an entire episode of “Locked up Abroad” on his experience. These men are not ordinary, tell me there shouldn’t be a scripted TV series based on their lives. You can’t."
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Return to “Panhead”