All flathead topics
FlatheadMaverick
Bikes: 1946 Harley WL 45
1970 Bridgestone 100 TMX
1981 Yamaha Seca 550
2011 Yamaha FJR 1300

Tool box mounted for first time in decades

Post by FlatheadMaverick »

Is it common for the kicker lever to hit the toolbox while coming up to the top of its stroke (rest position)? I have the mounting plate attached properly to the two tabs, one on the frame by the battery box lid, and one at the lower front of the rear fender (above the chain guard). There's a little play in the lever where it bolts to the kicker shaft, and no amount of tightening will secure it enough to keep it from moving the 1/8" toward the shiny paint on the toolbox. The top of the lever actually hits the lower rear corner of the toolbox, unless I pull out on the lever while guiding it up to the hard stop.

Is it possible that it's the wrong kick lever (for a different model)? Again, this is the restoration of a WL that's been in the family since 1949, and I'm finding out some interesting things have been done to it. I know this particular problem was an issue for my uncle decades ago because there's a divet worn in the toolbox lock surround, from where the kick lever smacked into it at the end of many up-strokes.

It also may be that I'm over-analyzing it, and it's a matter of "someone laid this thing over in the last 75 years, and bent the lever." It looks pretty straight, though.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Tool box mounted for first time in decades

Post by RUBONE »

Does your kicker arm have the two ears on it for stops at the top and bottom of the stroke? It should offset about 3". If not it may be a big twin or Sportster arm.

In the pic you can see the stop ear and the offset in the crank on my 47WL.
Attachments
DCP_2118.JPG
DCP_2118.JPG (148.46 KiB) Viewed 496 times
FlatheadMaverick
Bikes: 1946 Harley WL 45
1970 Bridgestone 100 TMX
1981 Yamaha Seca 550
2011 Yamaha FJR 1300

Re: Tool box mounted for first time in decades

Post by FlatheadMaverick »

Thanks, RUBONE. No, my kicker arm only has the one stop ear, the one at the top of the stroke. It's also only offset about 2".
Another 50-year mystery solved.
Time to find a WL arm.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”